Tuesday, May 26, 2009

No longer on the road

Well, I am finally done driving...driving for over 7 hours at once that is. I am spending my summer in Estes Park, Colorado working at Covenant Heights, a Christian outdoor/adventure camp. (totally perfect for me, right?) How did I land such an awesome job you may ask? Well, here's the tale...
Since I returned from studying abroad in Ireland my freshman year of college, I was determined to go back. And this summer seemed like a perfect time. I could work at the hostel we stayed at, make good money, and have lots of time off to do whatever I pleased. Pretty perfect sounding. After I had run away with this idea in my head, God started poking me pretty hard. I was being selfish. I was planning to do what I wanted to do because it would make me happy. I'd be serving myself. I will return to Ireland, hopefully soon, but this summer was not the time. So I started asking God what He did want me to do with my summer. I started getting a lot of signs that pointed to summer camp. I had a bunch of connections to Kanakuk Colorado, and I was determined that that was the camp. Jon and I were applying together, and K. Colorado looked really promising. However, just to be safe, we both applied to Covenant Heights as well. Oddly enough, Kanukuk never sent us our applications and never called or emailed. Fast forward a little bit, Jon and I had great phone interviews with Covenant Heights and within a couple weeks, I was hired as rope staff/outdoor activities, and Jon was hired as a traditional camp counselor! God was so faithful. Here's one of my philosophies: God gave us talents and passions for a reason. Yes, of course sometimes we're going to be placed out of our comfort zone, but ultimately, I think God wants to take what we love and are passionate about and use it for His glory and to show the love of Jesus. And that's exactly what this job for me is all about. Not only am I here to serve and encourage and love the campers and staff, but I also get to be in one of the most beautiful states EVER where I will be able to climb and hike and romp and play as much as I want! God knows us. He knows our hearts. And chances are, He wants to take the things you love and let you do them. That's what I get to do all summer. So I am here, after 16 hours in the car (luckily made in 2 days) and I have the entire summer to look forward to what I get to do and what God is going to do. Haven't done any climbing yet, but I'll keep this thing updated. It was raining today which would have been our first climbing day, but Jon and I spent the day in boulder just having fun. Works out well, I needed a few days for my three flappers from climbing at Upper Limits on Saturday to heal.
Anyway, I hope everyone is having a fantastic summer wherever you and whatever you're doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment